Canadian Guidelines on HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Non-Occupational Post Exposure Prophylaxis:
Darrell H. S. Tan, Mark W. Hull, Deborah Yoong, Cécile Tremblay, Patrick O’Byrne, Réjean Thomas, Julie Kille, Jean-Guy Baril, Joseph Cox, Pierre Giguere, Marianne Harris, Christine Hughes, Paul MacPherson, Shannon O’Donnell, Joss Reimer, Ameeta Singh, Lisa Barrett, Isaac Bogoch, Jody Jollimore, Gilles Lambert, Bertrand Lebouche, Gila Metz, Tim Rogers and Stephen Shafran; for the Biomedical HIV Prevention Working Group of the CIHR Canadian HIV Trials Network.
CMAJ November 27, 2017 189 (47) E1448-E1458; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.170494
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) involving daily tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine 300/200 mg, taken orally, is a highly effective strategy for reducing the risk of HIV acquisition in adults who are at high, ongoing risk of infection.
- In gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men with frequent exposures, an on-demand regimen may also be considered.
- Nonoccupational postexposure prophylaxis (nPEP) involving 28 days of antiretroviral medications is an effective strategy for reducing the risk of HIV acquisition from a recent (within 72 h) incident of moderate or high-risk exposure to HIV.
- PrEP and nPEP should be part of a combination prevention strategy that includes behavioural interventions, such as condoms and counselling on risk reduction.
URL for full guidelines
The Canadian HIV-HCV Co-infection Guidelines list 53 specific recommendations for:
- Evaluating co-infected patients
- Addressing barriers to care
- Selecting treatments
- Determining treatment timing
- Addressing drug-to-drug interactions.
The Canadian HIV Pregnancy Guidelines list 24 specific recommendations for:
- Antenatal care
- Intrapartum care
- Postpartum care
“Our study will test whether a licensed and commonly used medication could lead to a functional cure for HIV infection,”…
Along with supporting CAHR as a Bronze Sponsor, the CTN is proud to host several important events throughout the week.
Approximately half of the aging HIV-positive population will be affected by HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorder (HAND). People with HAND can experience…
The CTN offers condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Dr. David Cooper. Dr. Cooper dedicated his life to…